We Must Preserve Our Affordable Housing
Many renters across Ontario are struggling to find an affordable place to call home. Those of us paying affordable rents are feeling the daily pressure to keep our housing.
ACTO’s latest report shows that Ontario has lost more than a quarter of its affordable rental housing and no-fault evictions are on the rise.
The provincial and federal governments are investing in building new rental housing, but it will take years to see any real change. The new housing built so far are mostly condos and luxury rental apartments that most renters cannot afford. Our incomes are stagnant and we have job instability.
WE CAN’T WAIT.
We need strong tenant protections to stay in our homes.
We need the Ontario government to:
- Limit rent gouging created through vacancy decontrol that’s driving up rents
- Repair and build more social housing
- Introduce a new law to limit demolitions, conversions and renovations of our rental housing
- Invest in an province wide eviction-prevention program
- Strengthen maintenance and repair enforcement
- Build a centralized data system registering rental buildings
We must preserve our affordable housing. We are here to stay.