The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) works to better the housing situation of Ontario residents who have low incomes including tenants, co-op members and people who are homeless. ACTO achieves this through:
- test case litigation;
- lobbying and law reform;
- housing policy work;
- community organizing; and,
- public legal education.
ACTO works with legal clinics, tenant associations and other groups and individuals concerned about housing issues. ACTO is funded by Legal Aid Ontario and has been in existence since September, 2001.
The Tenant Duty Counsel Program ("TDCP") is a program of ACTO. It provides information and limited legal assistance to eligible tenants appearing at the Landlord and Tenant Board.
This section of the ACTO web site is a private area provided for the benefit of duty counsel, and is only available in English.
To enter this area, please go to the login page.
- Read our Proposal for National Housing Strategy Consultation
- Read about Right to Housing Coalition member's personal story of homelessness and activism here. R2H's push for a national housing strategy is recognized in this Bloomberg article.
- ACTO's Director of Advocacy and Legal Services discusses UN report slamming Canada for homelessness crisis in this radio interview
- The Government of Ontario is exploring ideas about contracting out the work of the Court Enforcement Offices (Sheriff). This could include evictions and seizure of property under Court orders. You can read their proposals here. ACTO has serious concerns about this proposal. Read our response here.
- ACTO Newsletter, March 2016, read here
- ACTO's Press Release, March 7, 2016, read here
- Read media coverage of our advocacy at the UN here and here
- Read R2H Coalition member's speech here
- Read ACTO's oral presentation to the CESCR at the UN review of Canada here
- The Right to Housing Coalition will be speaking at the United Nations in Geneva on February 24-25! Our submissions are here
- As of December 18, 2015, our new address is 1500-55 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5J 2H7