The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) works to better the housing situation of Ontario residents who have low incomes including tenants, co-op members and people who are homeless. ACTO achieves this through:
- test case litigation;
- lobbying and law reform;
- housing policy work;
- community organizing; and,
- public legal education.
ACTO works with legal clinics, tenant associations and other groups and individuals concerned about housing issues. ACTO is funded by Legal Aid Ontario and has been in existence since September, 2001.
The Tenant Duty Counsel Program ("TDCP") is a program of ACTO. It provides information and limited legal assistance to eligible tenants appearing at the Landlord and Tenant Board.
This section of the ACTO web site is a private area provided for the benefit of duty counsel, and is only available in English.
To enter this area, please go to the login page.
- Join ACTO for a march and People's assembly on Friday November 20th to mark National Housing Day! For more information and to register, please click here. To download the flyer, please click here.
- ATTENTION TENANTS IN CONDOS: The Government of Ontario is overhauling the Condominium Act. Tenants living in condos will be affected by changes to this law. On October 9, ACTO went to the hearings and told the MPPs to protect tenants from being evicted under this law. See what we said here
- ACTO's Press Release: Ontario long-term commitment to end homelessness needs provincial investment, a federal partner and a National Housing Strategy
- Watch the video of our September 30th Right to Housing Forum here
- Give us your feedback about the Right to Housing Forum here
- Check out a year-long investigative project on housing issues by the Tyee Solutions Society here
- ACTO's Press Release: Over Half of Canadians Would Support a Political Party that Makes Affordable Housing a Priority, New Poll Finds
- Read ACTO’s op-ed on Why Housing First Won’t End Homelessness
- Supreme Court Slams Door Shut on Canada`s Housing Crisis! Click here for more information.
- Hot off the press! Click here to read about the fight for the right to housing in Canada and around the world!
- Ontario Energy Minister announces new electricity bill affordability program for low-income consumers. Click here for more information.
- Landlord and Tenant Board grants permanent rent reduction for removal of balconies. Click here to see the LTB’s Decision.